[ntp:questions] How to keep Linux server in Chicago and Mumbai in sync to within 5 microseconds

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 02:17:46 UTC 2011

On 1/11/2011 4:15 PM, Vikas wrote:
> The vendors are trying to sell me CDMA time clocks
> http://www.endruntechnologies.com/time-frequency-reference-cdma.htm
> $1375 each.
>
> Also I would need 2 time clocks one in Chicago and other in Mumbai.
>
> Is there is a easier/cost effective way ?
>
> Thanks,

CDMA should work in Chicago.  I'd have to look at an atlas to find out
where Mumbai is.  While CDMA service is readily available in most of the
continental USA, it is far from being universally available.

GPS satellites broadcast the time in UTC.  The satellites are in line of
site for most, if not all, of the world.  You can purchase GPS receivers
relatively cheaply.  Note that you want a GPS TIME receiver!
A navigation receiver necessarily knows what time it is but it is not
necessarily able to output extremely accurate time.  GPS timing
receivers are available for $100 and up.