[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 16:16:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM,  <Radu.Popa at technomatic.de> wrote:
> Thank you for your answer, but can this limit be specified in the config
> file or command line, please?

I found it.
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/clock.html

Looks like I was wrong.   From my read of the above 2 minutes is under
the "panic" limit and NTP should attempt to correct the offset.   It
will "step" the clock in jumps of 125 milliseconds.    So it would
take 1,000 steps to correct a 2 minute offset.   So take a look every
few hours and you should see it slowly correct itself.    As I wrote
above 2 minutes is a large and unrealistic test, try two seconds.
Two seconds is close to the error you might see in a network outage.

Read the link above.  It's explained there

The problem, or the reason NTP can't close a large offset is that NTP
tries to control the RATE of the clock.  How can it close a 2 minute
offset unless it runs the clock faster than it should?   This is a
fundamental problem because there is no "right" answer.  The only
option is to correct one error (the offset) by creating another (A
clock that runs faster than one second per second).

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California