[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:59:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no"@ntp.org> wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:

> Using Garmin 18 and SURE for two of those will leave you nearly $900 for the
> last clock, so that is obviously doable. :-)
>
> If you pick up a Motorola Oncore UT+ as the last clock you'll have a proven
> extremely good reference (15-25 ns RMS offset from true UTC?) and still end
> up with maybe $800 in your pocket.

If this is a hobby server running in your house then you can get buy
with just some bare PCBs on a table.  But these are critical business
servers so I assume the OP runs a business and needs to follow the
electrical code and can let an antenna lead go out an open window.
The biggest part of the budget wil be the roof mounted antenna.  For
that you need a mast that is grounded to a ground rod. You need some
kind of lightening protection on the antenna lead and then to lead the
antenna coax in the lab.  Getting just a legal up to code antenna up
for $300 is a stretch if you hire the work done.    There is a LOT
more to setting up a GPS in a commercial building then just buying the
GPS.  It gets expensive quickly once you start placing things on a
roof and pulling wires between floors

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California