[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jul 10 15:19:04 UTC 2011

> Hello,
>
> I have an issue with the Meinberg software:
>
> I have defined a simple configuration file
>
> Server time1
> Server time2
>
> I can see be running the ntpq -p command that the client is using the
> two
> servers: one as preferred (*) the other one on standby (+) and also the
> offset which is around 120 seconds. The problem is that Meinberg is not
> setting up the system clock by itself. However, if I restart the
> service,
> it does it at the start, but if I modify the clock afterwards to
> simulate
> an offset, it still does not sync system clock.
>
> Thank you!

Radu,

You have had plenty of advice from others about your configuration.  Even
without GPS references, NTP from the Meinberg installation should work
correctly under Vista and Windows-7, and likely server 2008 (not tested
here).  There are some hints and tips here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/index.html

including advice about using the Garmin GPS 18/18x LVC and Sure
Electronics GPS evaluation board to make your own stratum-1 reference.  I
am on the top floor of a house and find the pickup from modern devices
indoors is adequate.

Cheers,
David