[ntp:questions] How do I prevent sudden system time jumps.

Lars Ericsson laeatwork at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 20:43:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have been running the ntp client on a Linux platform for some time and
have not seen any problems.

I recently run into a strange behavior where our communication software
failed on some critical timeouts.
After some investigation we found out the the system time suddenly made a
jump with 200ms.

Normally NTP will smoothly adjust the time without any noticeable jumps, and
then this sudden step :o)

My question is: How do I prevent NTP clock adjustments from jumping. OK, it
will take some time to adjust but that's OK.

Regards
Lars