[ntp:questions] ntp client ipv6 support

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Jun 16 12:25:36 UTC 2011

On 6/15/2011 10:16 PM, Atul Gupta wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Thanks for your response.
> Its difficult for me to move to ntp-4.2.6p3.
> Does ntp-4.2.4 doesn't support ipv6 ? I have seen the release notes and it
> says that it does  support.
> Do i need to configure with some option to enable ipv6 multicast support?

NTP needs nothing to support IPv6, it's done so for many years. Your O/S
may. What O/S and version are you using?

What's your difficulty with upgrading NTP?

There was at one point a problem in NTP with multicast on some O/S's but
that was fixed a long time ago. We regularly use multicastclient
FF05::101 on the servers at UDel and elsewhere so it's not the current
version of NTP that's the problem. Move to the latest released version
to test that.

Danny