[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

Ralph ralph at depth.net
Sun Mar 6 19:57:26 UTC 2011

I have done what you suggested in terms of setting the clock with services shutdown and then starting ntpd back up and I still end up in this state.  Every time ntpd adjusts the clock it has to add around 190s; looks like it's doing it every hour or so...

The driftfile has 8.747 in it.  I have deleted it an let a new one generate and that is the one I have now.  Prior to that the number was much much larger and ntpd wasn't keeping the clock in sync at all.

One more piece of information I just noticed while looking through the system log; I repeatedly get a log entry from ntpd that says:

ntpd[20111]: sendto([ip address]) (fd=-1): Bad file descriptor

It looks like I getting one of these entries per time server I have configured and it looks like it's happening about every 15 minutes.  Google search on this makes it sound like this would be caused by multiple instances of ntpd running, but checking my system monitor shows only one running.  Is there something else that could cause this?  And is this the source of my problem?  Or is this just a red-herring?