[ntp:questions] Beginner needs help...

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 7 08:49:16 UTC 2011

> Hi all
[]
> Robert

Robert,

You have had some good advice from other here.  I have various Windows
systems here running NTP, with offsets of less than 100 microseconds
(Windows-7, PC Stamsund, with an attached GPS/PPS device) and less than 1
millisecond (Windows XP, PC Narvik, LAN-synced).

Performance:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

Configuration:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html#Configuration

To get this level of offset, I worked closely with Dave Hart who updated
the serial support and the interpolation scheme so that it worked better
with Windows, and I also use much shorter polling intervals on the LAN
than you would use on the Internet.  Although there is a FreeBSD system in
the network, I would be quite confident about using just a Windows-7
reference clock with a GPS/PPS system (either Garmin GPS 18 LVC, or Sure
Electronics evaluation board), with an Internet backup.  I hope you may be
able to fit such a system within a Windows Domain - I don't use Domains
here.

GPS 18x LVC:
  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27594&pvID=14555

Sure Electronics board: