[ntp:questions] Beginner needs help...

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Mar 7 10:52:47 UTC 2011

David Woolley wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:
>

>> If you are on an isolated network a better setup is to put three
>> SERVER lines in each config file where each of the tree computers has
>> itself and the other two to select from. ntp will find the best clock
>>
> That's a recipe for disaster. If you are a rime island and you do
> something like this, orphan mode is essential. Without orphan mode, the
> OP is correct in using a well defined tree structure.

Yes and no:

The ability of ntpd to disregard circular definitions, i.e. using itself
as server, made it possible for me to use the exact same ntp.conf file
for all of my 6 primary servers:

I.e. all six are listed as servers, along with a locally attached Oncore
UT+, so each server ends up with the 5 others as peers.

(Since I only have three active Oncores, one on each site, I end up with
three S1 and three S2 servers. If an S1 server should suffer a hw crash,
I can simply move the RS232 cable to the local S2 server.)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>