[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Mon Mar 7 16:28:37 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-06, Ralph <ralph at depth.net> wrote:
> It is a VM, which I'm sure is why the clock isn't playing nice but I haven't found the right solution to fix it... The clock was running fast until I added the divider=10 option and now it runs slow - but I rather have ntp have to move the clock forward than have it moving backwards.  When it was running fast and ntpd had to move the clock backwards it was killing amavisd all the time.
>
> Are there other tweaks I can do to try to get the clock running properly on a VM?

Why are you trying to discipline the clock on a VM-- that should be the
job of the underlying OS that runs the VM and you should be getting your
time from it. A VM cannot properly discipline a clock. Can you imagine 5
different VM all trying? And then the OS suspends the sessionfor a
couple of second.