[ntp:questions] Beginner needs help...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:27:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM, David Woolley
<david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>>
>> David Woolley wrote:

>>> That's a recipe for disaster. If you are a rime island and you do
>>> something like this, orphan mode is essential. Without orphan mode, the
>>> OP is correct in using a well defined tree structure.
>>
>> Yes and no:
>>
>> The ability of ntpd to disregard circular definitions, i.e. using itself
>> as server, made it possible for me to use the exact same ntp.conf file for
>> all of my 6 primary servers:
>>
> The concern I have is that such configurations, without a real source of
> time are liable to fragment.

Yes.  I think you are right.  I've done the three server lines, thing
as I suggested above and it worked but I can see where it might
fragment.  I guess that would depend on luck.  The orphan mode solves
this problem.

The problem is that on an isolated island of N servers you want to
automatically select the one server that has the "best" clock even
when some computers are not running.  I think "orphan" handles this.

--
=====
Chris Albertson