[ntp:questions] Beginner needs help...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:12:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no"@ntp.org> wrote:

>> The problem is that on an isolated island of N servers you want to
>> automatically select the one server that has the "best" clock even
>> when some computers are not running.  I think "orphan" handles this.
>
> A RAIG (Redundant Array of Inexpensive GPSs) setup solves that problem as
> well. :-)

Yes, I know,  good timing GPSes are being dumped on ebay for as low as
$15 and really good ones for $50.  But, I think there will always be
cases of isolated networks.   Here at work for example some of the
labs have to disconnect from the outside world when processing
sensitive information.  Many other cases of unavoidable "island
networks"

--
=====
Chris Albertson