[ntp:questions] Is a Spectracom Netclock/2 worth saving?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 02:11:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
> Rick,
>
> All the Spectracom WWVB and GPS receivers use the same serial protocol; I
> have had one or more of these things running for almost 30 years. The
> Netclock/2 is useless without its ferrite-stick loop antenna, and even then
> the rising noise pollution due to the noisy electrical grid and machine room
> UPS systems have rendered any WWVB receiver essentially useless.

Digikey has 100mm long loopsticks tunned for 60KHz for just  few
bucks.    I know what you say about noise.  I'm working on a WWVB
receiver and the plan is to house the radio inside a sealed section 2"
PVC pipe that will go about 20 feet high way out in the backyard..
the digital signal will be sent using RS422 differential drivers.
Have some of it bread boarded and it seem to pick up WWVB from indoors
in the evening.    There are "receivers on a chip" that greatly reduce
the cost and size. I expect to spend about $25 total on parts

--
=====
Chris Albertson