[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Sat Mar 12 10:34:43 UTC 2011

David Woolley wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:
>> Yes,  Linux, after the first boot block is loaded does not use any of
>> that code, no BIOS calls are made from the OS, none of other ROMs
>> either.  It's open Source so people read the code.
>

> My understanding is that system management mode code is still executed.
With dislike, though.
It is closed and unmanaged source.

You can still disable it.

Or you could get an open source bios ( for a select range of motherboards ).
Imho with a bit of effort you can defang the majority of potential backdoors
on Linux and most probably the BSDs (but not on apple) too.

I haven't followed the TPM infrastructure stuff.

uwe