[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 12 11:58:32 UTC 2011

"Uwe Klein" <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote in message
news:h01s48-89b.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> Is that NT3.5 fact still valid ?
>>>
>>> Never understood why anyone would use Windows for real work anyway.
>>>
>>> The thing that it does best is waiting ever faster for the next
>>> keypress from the user.
>>>
>>> uwe
>>

>> Perhaps people use Windows because the software they wish to run is
>> only available for Windows?  I know that two reasons I develop for
>> Windows are that my customers want Windows software, and I don't need
>> to create half a dozen different versions for the variants of
>> UNIX-style OSes which are out there.  But I also use FreeBSD and
>> Apple's IOS where they are more appropriate.
> Look at how x-platform OSS software can be without much hassle.
> Best organised example : Debian imho.
>
> Getting no traction cross distribution but on the same CPU family
> is nearly 100% attributable to not understood dependency and build
> processes.
>
> Same with all the display and usability problems Adobe has on linux.
> Big mouth and a long list of what linux lacks. But OSS software
> invariably
> does not have the issues while not lacking in performance either.
>>
>> Oh, and for many people, their interaction with Windows is not mainly
>> via the keyboard.
>
> you mean they only do "click and drool" ;-)
>

>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> G!
> uwe

Uwe, I will not discuss this further with you as it's veering off-topic
here.  Suffice it to say I am happy to live and let live, and take
advantage of the best features of each OS I use without feeling the need
to insult others who may have different needs.

I will say a very big THANK YOU to those who have ported NTP to the
different operating systems, and spent a lot of their own time working
round the differing challenges this provides.  For my own part, I have
done quite a bit of testing, provided tools to help monitor and manage
NTP, and published my findings to help others.

Cheers,
David