[ntp:questions] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

Karel Sandler sandler at ujf.cas.cz
Tue Mar 15 10:52:00 UTC 2011

> I hear in the Media that the earth quake sped the rotation of
> the earth up..
> Can anyone confirm this?

The earth quake has accelerated Earth's spin, shortening the length of the
day by 1.8 microseconds.

> Does this mean that we will not need to 'insert leap seconds'
> for a while, or does it mean that we will need to retract leap
> seconds that have been added?

The value 1.8 us is very small, but it adds up every day. However, this sum
is comparable to the leap second only after several centuries. Thus, such a
change will be completely lost on the background of other influences.

Karel Sandler