[ntp:questions] new driver development

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:57:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:37 UTC, Bruce Lilly <bruce.lilly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm preparing a POSIX shared memory driver (PSHM) for ntp to address a
> few issues that exist with the present SHM driver.

Sounds good, Bruce.  The best way to get that integrated with ntpd is
first integrate it with the existing refclock_shm.c, so that both
flavors of shared memory are supported by a single driver.  That
allows us to integrate the new driver without adding as much to the
maintenance burden of carrying around so many different drivers.  I
realize that is in conflict with your goal of supporting only POSIX
systems, but then, so is ntpd in general.  Don't be surprised to see
me extend your named-shared-memory driver to work on Windows one
day...

Don't be shy about suggesting eliminating dead code while you're at it.

Thanks again,
Dave Hart