[ntp:questions] 64-bit serialpps.sys despite unsigned?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Mar 18 07:53:37 UTC 2011

> Which apparently allows ongoing, hands-off use of unsigned drivers
> after initial setup.  I am curious to hear from anyone who tries it
> with serialpps.sys and ntpd on Windows.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Folks,

This is now written up here - comments and corrections warmly invited:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-Vista.html

By using /both/ the kernel-mode driver, /and/ enabling interpolation,
averaged jitter on this system has been reduced from over 1.5 milliseconds
to under 40 microseconds.  Not often you get an almost forty-times
improvement for a couple of hours work!

My thanks to Dave Hart for his Windows support, the modified serial
driver, and for discovering how to use unsigned drivers!

Cheers,
David