[ntp:questions] ntpd -q and driftfile

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 22 07:18:01 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-22, prashant sherin <pvsnmp at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> ntpd is intended to for continuous, not periodic running. ?You are not
>> using it correctly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> ntpd does allow us to run this way. From the ntpd man page:
>
>  -q      Exit the ntpd just after the first time the clock is set.
> This behavior mimics that of the ntpdate program, which is to be
> retired. The -g and -x  options  can
>                be used with this option. Note: The kernel time
> discipline is disabled with this option.
>
> The idea is to use it as ntp client.

No idea what that is supposed to mean. ntpd run continuously is an ntp
client as well. An ntp client is something that uses another time source
to control the local clock. You can do that in a one shot fashion as you
seem to want to do, or use it continuously so it disciplines the rate as
well as the time. It is up to you. However, you may well be very
confused about ntpd as well. Your posts do not rule that out.
Maybe if you told us what you want to accomplish we can give you advice
on how best to accomplish it.