[ntp:questions] ntpd -q and driftfile

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 15:20:22 UTC 2011

On 3/22/2011 2:56 AM, prashant sherin wrote:
>> ntpd is intended to for continuous, not periodic running.  You are not
>> using it correctly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> ntpd does allow us to run this way. From the ntpd man page:
>
>   -q      Exit the ntpd just after the first time the clock is set.
> This behavior mimics that of the ntpdate program, which is to be
> retired. The -g and -x  options  can
>                 be used with this option. Note: The kernel time
> discipline is disabled with this option.
>
> The idea is to use it as ntp client.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Prashant

The fact that it's possible to use NTPD that way does NOT mean that it
is anywhere close to using NTPD as designed nor is it the best way for
most purposes!  You could do almost as well by setting the time from
from my wrist watch which uses VLF radio to receive time broadcasts.

"Normal usage" is to run NTPD 24 hours a day, 365 days a year or 366 on
leap years.