[ntp:questions] ntpd -q and driftfile

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:20:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM, unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-03-23, Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
>
> You can probably do better than that. That is for the reaction to
> something that you do not expect. Ie, you have decide that the event has
> occured and then send the messages to your finger to press. However for
> the timing, you know exactly when it is going to occur. You can get
> yourself into a rhythm on each second, and then finally press the
> button. So I suspect you can do about .1 sec if you try hard.

I'd bet any musician could do better than 0.1 sec.  If you are playing
piano and the timing of a note is off by as much as .1 sec it sounds
like an error.    MIDI is used to record musical performances and it
uses a "tick" about every 10ms or 100 or 128 per second. That is about
the range of human hearing, if you are good, delays smaller seem to us
a simultaneous.   I'd say that people who pratice every day such as
pianists could get to the 0.01 second range

--
=====
Chris Albertson