[ntp:questions] Secure NTP

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:43:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 8:40 AM,  <jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com> wrote:

> Let's see you spoof the Internet, GPS, and CDMA all at the same time.

Summary of above argument:
"You can't spoof my system, therefor other systems can't be spoofed."

So far all the arguments seem to be equivalent to either
(1)  "I don't need this therefor others should not need it." or,
(2) "I cannot see how X could happen, therefore X cannot happen."

The trouble with universal statements like "X can't happen" or "no one
would,..." is that they can be shown to be false with only one counter
example.   Of course some universal statements are in fact true.  One
way you can show a universal to be true is to assume it is false and
then show that some law of mathematics or physics would be violated.
But any number of examples or statistics will never work.

--
=====
Chris Albertson