[ntp:questions] new driver development

Bruce Lilly bruce.lilly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:14:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 04:51:40 +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> I don't see this one.  If "flag1 0" (the current default) means SVID,
> and we decide that "flag1 1" means POSIX, what is the issue?  How is
> that significantly different from changing 127.127.28.x to 127.127.y.x ?

Among others,
  1. The following is workable:
        server 127.127.28.1 ...

        server 127.127.y.1 ...

     Your proposal in this respect, viz.:
        server 127.127.28.1 ...
        fudge 127.127.28.1 flag1 0 ...

        server 127.127.28.1 ...
        fudge 127.127.28.1 flag1 1 ...

     simply won't work. IOW, one can have 4 units ea. using different
     drivers, but one cannot have multiple devices sharing the same
     driver and unit numbers but differing flags (or ttl, etc.)

  2. With separate drivers, each can perform appropriate initialization
     via the clock_init function pointer in its struct refclock
     structure.  One cannot alter the way that works based on flag or ttl
     values as neither are accessible; the prototype is:
       void (*clock_init) (void);
     I.e. no pointer to a peer structure.

> They are separate issues.  We support timespec where it exists.  We want
> to support timespec under SHM regardless.

If I thought that was feasible, I would have done it and submitted
patches a year ago.