[ntp:questions] peer command and clusters

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 19:39:10 UTC 2011

On 3/28/2011 1:16 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On 03/26/2011 08:46 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
>>
>> You probably want iburst on each of those server lines, to sync the
>> clock in under 15 seconds instead of a few minutes.
>
> I thought that was frowned upon, to use iburst with public servers?
>
> (I do use iburst, from all the other machines to the internal NTP servers.)

iburst is seldom a problem for a server.  Iburst sends something like
eight NTP request packets at two second intervals during startup.  This
is enough to fill the filter pipeline and get an initial value for the
correct time.

Few people would object to this.

Burst mode is somewhat different.  It sends several requests at each and
every interval.  Its use is seldom appropriate and is almost always
unwelcome unless YOU own the server or have the owner's permission!
ISTR that burst mode was intended for use by clients using dialup
telephone lines to query the server.