[ntp:questions] Sure Electronics GPS board: Amazing performance. :-)

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Mar 31 16:44:26 UTC 2011

unruh wrote:
> On 2011-03-31, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>>I would be most interested in a copy of the programming manual should
>>>you get one.
>>
>>Just got my two samples. nice. works out of the box.
>>The pcb design is rather well done imho.
>

> Well, no they do not work out of the box for timing purposes. One has to
> solder on some wires (If you serial port responds to 3V pulses, you can
> just go directly from the PPS output port to the DCD pin on the serial
> plug, or you can go to http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/ for
> instructions on how to get serial port voltages out by soldering to
> three of the surface mount pins on the board-- requires a stead hand, a
> very fine soldering iron, and very fine solder (or better pretinning and
> a quick heatup).
I don't think that "using a soldering iron" is much of a hassle.
my workbench has 4 different tipped ones to the left a microscope behind
me on the rear bench. Just have to turn around and everything is in the right
position.

> My only concern is that the unit places its location 12m away from its
> actual location on Googleearth-- ie, either googleearth is 12 m out in
> its alignment to lat/long grid at my house, or the unit is misreporting
> its position. Note that the scatter has only a standard deviation of
> about 1.5 m ( coming from its use of WAAS I suspect), so it is not that
> that 12 m is just part of the natural variation in gps.
>
> (Does anyone know of anywhere where the alignment errors of google earth to the
> grid is discussed?)
>
> A brief 10 min test at a survey marker put the unit about 3 m away from
> that marker on googleearth-- but that was at a location 6km from my
> home.
>
> That leapsecond web page complained about the quality of the soldering
> on the board (dirty solder joints, messy solder joints) but my board did
> not have any of those problems.
>

>>Rather interesting to follow the GSV sentences
>>( sat number, direction and quality )
>>
>>All Docs are per download:
>>http://www.sure-electronics.net/download/index.php?name=GP-GS010&type=0
>

> Unfortunately none of the docs I have found discuss the upload commands
> format or type for this chipset.

Was in the mail today, so I haven't done anything beyond switching it on
and emanating that friendly blue blink while spewing worthless ( you word Sir )
nmea sentences.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=de&q=MG1613

going to have a look into the datasheets.
That or ask Sure-Elec or inspect the USB(serial) traffic

this could be a start: ( reading currently )
http://www.rigacci.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/doc/appunti/hardware/gps/mtk_packet_user_manual.pdf
> (And that blue LED on the Sure board really is bright. In a dark room,
> it lights up the walls of the room every time it comes on).
So you take a soldering iron to it!
or snitch some dark nail finish from your wife.

uwe