[ntp:questions] Two servers, one client : one problem

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:16:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Yann I. <yann.frm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My problem is the following :
>  I don't understand why the client can't be synchronized with one of the
> servers. The servers are seen as a "falsetickers"...
>  The "ntpq associations" shows me a "reject" but I don't understand the
> reason...

The short answer is that your two server's time is far enough apart
that ntpd decides "something is not right"

Longer answer:
see www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/select.html  This explains the
clock selection algorithm in some detail.
The fix is easy.  Add some pool servers the the conf files of your two
local servers.  Or if more accuracy is required add some pool servers
and a GPS timing receiver (with PPS) to your two local servers.

--
=====
Chris Albertson