[ntp:questions] Two servers, one client : one problem

Tue May 3 20:09:50 UTC 2011

Yann I. wrote:
> I have some problems about the configuration of ntp
>  servers and client.
> You'll find the configurations used for the test and some
>  outputs (of "ntpq -p" for example).
> First of all, the both servers are standalone and are not
>  synchronized with an external ntp server. Later, they'll
>  be connected to external ntp server.
> Later...
> The servers and client don't use iptable.
>
> My problem is the following :
>  I don't understand why the client can't be synchronized
>   with one of the servers.  The servers are seen as a
>  "falsetickers"... The "ntpq associations" shows me a
>  "reject" but I don't understand the reason...

They are syncing just fine with their own Local clock?

They seem to indicate the reason they won't sync with
 the other server: flash=800 peer_loop

You might try ntpd -g on the servers and client,
 and _maybe_ they will all start & stay close enough together.

 However I think your plan is designed to fail.

  The PCs are syncing to themselves, and drifting away
   in whatever direction their oscillators, power management,
    virtual host time sharing & thermal variances take them.

  If you want them to sync to each other (instead of themselves),
    perhaps try removing the local clock driver in the ntp's .conf?

  Otherwise you likely need a more stable time base than
   the typical PC oscillator.

   Replace their oscillators with a Temperature Compensated
    Oscillator, Oven Controlled Oscillator, or Rubidium
    based Oscillator?

   Discipline their local clocks from an external
    source (e.g. PPS)>

    Turn off spread spectrum clocking in the BIOS?
    Turn off CPU core power management?
    Turn off OS power management?
    Don't run NTP in virtual hosts?

Then again, what do I know, I'm no expert.

  will be added to the BlackLists.