[ntp:questions] Windows time question.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu May 5 21:40:48 UTC 2011

> Not that accurate, within a second for what I need when traveling for
> work.   But I often as not find the last choice of server(s)
> problematical, for some odd reason.  Many hotel internet seems to be
> tunneled somewhere else, before it gets out to the wider www, with all
> the hidden latency and filtering etc.
>
> I did try synching with the office server via VPN, but that didn't work
> either.  When I can get a vpn (one of three choices) up and working that
> is.  Many hotels prevent vpn usage too!
>
> I guess, I could dive into the laptop, and find out why it's cmos clock
> keeps drifting as much as it does.
>
> Cheers.
>
> DaveB.

I would try first using an accurate server (home or work) directly, and
see how your PC performs.  That sets a best-case limit, and over hotel
Wi-Fi it will be worse.  I'm surprised it's as bad as more than a second
out - but I'll have my portable with me this weekend and if the hotel has
Wi-Fi I'll see what I get if I have the chance.

73,
David