[ntp:questions] Assistance with PPS on Windows

Ken Link klink at numberzero.org
Fri May 6 14:51:24 UTC 2011

Hi Martin,

We had considered using the time adjustment service from the driver
package at one point, but it seemed to conflict with NTP's
configuration at the time. If I disable NTP entirely and only use
MbgMon and it's time adjustment service, things look great and the
clock is synced to +/- 0.003s from the IRIG signal. However I can't do
that for two reasons:

1) I would like to share this highly accurate time as an NTP stratum 1
peer (as well as verify it's accuracy by running NTP with multiple
peers configured), but when I run NTP and the MbgMon time adjustment
service at the same time, NTP tries adjusting the clock and causes a
drift of a few hundred msec and high jitter because the two services
are fighting over the clock.

2) In the case where the IRIG signal fails or is inaccurate (e.g.
Arbiter clock becomes unlocked from GPS signal) there is no
redundancy, validation of correct time/clock discipline, or other time
server to connect to unless I am running NTP, which goes back to point
#1.

In a perfect world I could run MbgMon's time adjustment service and
NTP together (with multiple peers), NTP won't touch the clock until
the IRIG signal is determined to be bad (loss of IRIG signal, loss of
GPS signal at the clock, or local clock is rejected when compared to
other peers), and other peers can rely on this computer for accurate
and stable time via NTP.

Because we couldn't figure that out, we decided to give PPS a try. Is
there a way to configure NTP to play nice with MbgMon?

Thanks,
Ken