[ntp:questions] ntpd stays synced after loosing gps

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed May 11 15:39:43 UTC 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Nickolay Orekhov wrote:
> And what if it has no "other source" ?

If your priority is to keep all your machines sync'ed with each other, you're still fine.  On the other hand, if your priority is to keep machines synch'ed to real time, well, you ought to provide greater redundancy than a single point of failure.

> May be you could give me an advice on my system. I have one device synced
> from GPS and other devices synced from it by NTP. Often there will be only
> one NTP server.

Why only one?

Either pick three or so local machines and set them up as peers of the main time source using the GPS, or give them all GPS receivers, or setup references to public stratum-1 or -2 servers, or use the NTP pool.

Regards,
--
-Chuck