[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 GPS Network Time Servers

Alan Decelis alandecelis at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:14:23 UTC 2011

In the context of a requirement to set up a redundant configuration of
internal (peered) GPS Network Time Servers that operate at Stratum 1, is
there a best practice of the number of GPS Network Time Servers to set?
Would it be risky to rely on two reliable (meaning rather renowned and
expensive) GPS Network Time Servers each connected to a separate GPS antenna
with a TCXO? We are talking of a configuration whereby the number of ntp
requests to these GPS Network Time Servers will be low (10 to 20 nodes at
Statum 2 with 10 to 20 requests every 5 to 15 minutes) but the context
requires a high level of security (thus eliminating connections to the
internet) and a moderate level of accuracy (millisecond).

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers#Section_5.3.3,
in line with how NTP functions, would suggest a minimum of four upstream
servers. My understanding of this is that this applies to a scenario whereby
external time sources are being used, for instance official time sources
over the internet.  Does this also apply to the scenario specified
above? Would I thus require to look at the option of having 4 GPS Network
Time Servers at Stratum layer 1

Thanks in advance