[ntp:questions] Loop Filter Gains vs. Polling Interval

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon May 16 20:20:28 UTC 2011

Edward wrote:

> How do I adjust the loop time constant so that it is shorter??

First, I will offer my favorite "between the lines" Bible quote:

 Blessed are those who get what they deserve

which is similar to "Be careful what you wish for".

You should be able to ... make whatever adjustments you want using
'tinker' values, and if it's not directly visible there I hope you have
a copy of DLM's book, and you will probably need to dig into the source
code.

If you do any of this I strongly recommend you try out your changes
using the simulator.

Have you seen the book "Principles of Compiler Design"?  The front cover
has a knight on a horse battling a green dragon. On the back, the dragon
is resting comfortably against a big rock picking its teeth with the
knight's lance - sometimes the dragon wins.