[ntp:questions] ntpd preplug for detachable gps or testing

DaveB g8kbv at uko2.co.uk
Tue May 17 16:08:19 UTC 2011

In article <g7haa8-qa6.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de>, uwe at klein-habertwedt.de
says...

> Hi,
>
> I needed to sync a box to gps/nmea.
>
> But GPS and all other incoming nmea messages pass
> via socket connection into the main app.
>
> So I wrote a "pre"plug for ntp that indirects the
> gps tty into a pty.
> i.e. the pty behaves like the tty ( with attached gps )
>
> nmea sentences are handed in via udp socket
> from either another app or via a helper script that
> opens and reads a "real" gps device when available.
>
> 	http://wiki.tcl.tk/28358
>
> uwe

Nice....

On MS Win platforms (NT and later)
Eterlogic's VSPE can do that sort of thing (and lots else too.)
http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
The price is also right.

Multiple apps all listening to the same GPS, piping NMEA down the LAN
(or WAN) to somewhere else, general remoting com ports etc etc.

About the only thing it can't do, is the PPS (and make the tea!)

No affilation, just a long term happy user.

It also works with a lot of other third party similar tools, no doubt
they all use the same basic library.

Cheers.

DaveB