[ntp:questions] Ntp not syncing after powerfail of server

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu May 19 17:39:45 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-19, M. Giertzsch <mgiertzsch at mobotix.com> wrote:

> This is of course true, I can't say that that one server serves the
> correct time. But in a closed environment I can't guarantee that even
> when using more servers. If real time is needed I'm in need of a GPS
> module or something like this.

The GPS gives you something more important than the "real time". It
gives you a stable time reference.

Without a stable time reference ntpd can't make your clocks tick at 1
second per second. At best you'll have all you clocks playing follow the
leader (chasing your drifting LAN time server).

> But hmm, still it seems to me that the client does not sync when
> finished booting before the server does. What about that iburst
> mentioned in my recent post and may it be that I have to be more
> patient waiting for the next poll (but I waited half an hour).

Try removing the Undisciplined Local Clock lines from the client (the
lines containing 127.127.1.*). I suspect that your clients are choosing
"LOCAL" as their sys_peer and then ignoring your LAN time server).

The Undiscplined Local Clock is not a back-up for "leaf-node" (i.e.
client only) systems. It is only appropriate for an ntpd which must be
able to server time to others when the real time sources are
unreachable, or don't exist.)

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>