[ntp:questions] "ntpd[7602]: synchronized to"

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu May 26 17:16:16 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 09:49 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On May 26, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>
>> So, basically you're saying the "quality" of the NTP servers fluctuates for some reason and this machine is flipping back and forth between them?
>
> Evidently yes for your case.  With only two servers, it may not be possible to find a best intersection via ntpd's variant of Marzullo's algorithm:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marzullo%27s_algorithm

It's kind of what I intuitively expected.

I'm a tad reluctant to tell the clients to use the entire fleet of local
NTP servers, albeit they are of similar quality. These 3 clients are
members of a DB cluster and it's more important to keep them in sync
with each other, rather than in sync with some abstract "true time". So,
if some local NTP servers start wondering off and fracture the cluster
time-wise, that's bad. Hence the tendency to keep the config tight and
small.

Are there better approaches?

--
Florin Andrei