[ntp:questions] "ntpd[7602]: synchronized to"

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:25:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> Hmm... Both NTP servers are on the same LAN, same hardware and OS like the
> client machine, are synced to public pools, and peered with other NTP local
> servers, both on the same LAN and over a WAN. They seem fine to me.

The quality of the crystal on the motherboard makes a difference.
Also the distance from the computer to an air conditioning vent
determines how the temperature of that crystal fluctuates.  I doubt
the two servers are really the same.

Look at the clock selection algorithm.  The correctness interval is
determined by 1/2 the round trip plus dispersion and I bet that is
very small on a LAN

--
=====
Chris Albertson