[ntp:questions] NTP and WinXP

lelonga at free.fr lelonga at free.fr
Wed Nov 9 15:06:52 UTC 2011

Ok, Thanks a lot.

I'll try to set up ntpd.

Thanks again ! :)

----- Mail original -----
De: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net>
À: questions at lists.ntp.org
Envoyé: Mercredi 9 Novembre 2011 15:15:40
Objet: Re: [ntp:questions] NTP and WinXP

On 11/8/2011 12:52 PM, lelonga at free.fr wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm trying to configure the ntp client (w32time) of a computer that runs XP to synchronize with a ntp server running on a linux server.
>
> Does anybody know where I can set the stratum of the XP computer?

You CAN'T set the stratum!

> (I get the following error when I try to synchronize: "The time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less than the host's stratum".
>
> I found two entries in the windows registry (AnnounceFlags and InputProvider) that could help but I can't find the solution.
>
> Need help! :)
>
> Thanks in advance.

YOU are NOT SUPPOSED to set the stratum!  If your server is getting time
from a stratum 1 server, your server is Stratum 2.  Any system that gets
time from your server is at Stratum 3 and so on!

A Stratum one server is getting its time directly from an atomic clock.

Stratum is NOT a measure of accuracy!  It's simply the number of "middle
men" between you and the atomic clock.

HTH