[ntp:questions] Ntpd in uninterruptible sleep?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Nov 9 22:26:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 20:44, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> It didn't take long to crash but I'm not able to catch the buffers in the
> act of filling up.  However, the increased poll rate does shorten the life
> of ntpd's run time.  Note this instance crashed after only 332 seconds.  I
> was running ntpdc at a slower polling rate (every 5 seconds) and it took
> about 17,000 seconds to crash in that case.

I suspect to really understand what's going wrong, you'll need to run
ntpd interactively using -dd (or equivalently -D2) so that it traces
events to stdout.  It's also possible using gdb without debug tracing
would allow enough poking around after the problem occurs to identify
it.

Cheers,
Dave Hart