[ntp:questions] Ntpd in uninterruptible sleep?

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Wed Nov 9 23:56:49 UTC 2011

On 11/9/2011 14:26, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 20:44, A C<agcarver+ntp at acarver.net>  wrote:
>> It didn't take long to crash but I'm not able to catch the buffers in the
>> act of filling up.  However, the increased poll rate does shorten the life
>> of ntpd's run time.  Note this instance crashed after only 332 seconds.  I
>> was running ntpdc at a slower polling rate (every 5 seconds) and it took
>> about 17,000 seconds to crash in that case.
>
> I suspect to really understand what's going wrong, you'll need to run
> ntpd interactively using -dd (or equivalently -D2) so that it traces
> events to stdout.  It's also possible using gdb without debug tracing
> would allow enough poking around after the problem occurs to identify
> it.

I guess that's the next step.  It crashed again just now even with the
code modification you suggested.  In these last three cases none of the
cron jobs I mentioned some time earlier were running.  The system was
idle yet ntpd crashed just the same.

I'll see how ntpd -D2 works.  It shouldn't take long for the next crash.