[ntp:questions] Choice of local reference clock seems to affect synchronization on a leaf node

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sat Nov 12 14:10:05 UTC 2011

On 11/7/2011 5:41 PM, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 21:58, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
>> Actually, that is not the way that ntpd works. It has no concept of
>> "frequency error".
>
> Sure does, the frequency error is the frequency= value reported by
> ntpq, internally in ntpd stored in drift_comp, and persisted between
> runs in the driftfile.  Perhaps you were thinking of short-term
> frequency error due to temperature changes?

Technically I would describe it as a frequency correction rather than an
error. There are really two types of frequency changes in the system,
one is the steady-state frequency change and the other is the changes
necessary to have the clock catch up  or slow down to the reference
clock. What's in the drift file is the steady-state frequency correction.

Danny