[ntp:questions] Advice about architecture

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 14:02:07 UTC 2011

Hi Dave and all, and thanks for all contributions.

Il 10/11/2011 11:10, Dave Hart ha scritto:
>> I am going to revise the design I usually use for our synchronization
>> > subnet. The plan is to take IPv6 in consideration, manycast, and to use
>> > autokey. Anyway, before going any further, I'd like to ask you what you
>> > think about how I _currently_ organize my synchronization subnets.
> It seems pretty sound to me.  I don't personally have much experience
> with peered servers, so I'm curious if they seem to do what you hoped
> and expected when internet connectivity is interrupted.

Luckily, we didn't actually have any long outage that helped us test the
effectiveness of this. For short outages, that worked out good.

To fully test this, I should probably create some four new servers and
two or three clients, let them sync for ~ a week, then unplug the
servers' cable and see what happens them diverge (of course, I'd enable
stats on all the boxes). Unfortunately, I have not the capacity to do
that currently (in terms of hardware needed, and time to set up such a
test environment).

> I am of the opinion that if feasible, NTP manycast is a better choice
> than broadcast/multicast,

Manycast is on the list of things to look at for the next design
upgrade, so this is definitely something I am going to try out by the
next 6-12 months!

Thanks again

Ciao
-- bronto