[ntp:questions] Acceptance of a server that is stepping

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu Nov 17 10:42:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:13, Jörg Neulist <joerg.neulist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 10:48 pm, David Woolley <da... at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>
> wrote:
>> The important thing is not to do something silly, like configuring local
>> clocks on the leaf nodes.  Providing it is their only source, they
>> should recapture it.  The only reservation is that a fast slew may look
>> like excessive jitter.
>
> Okay, thank you very much for that answer! I was afraid that a large
> pool of nodes in agreement could outvote a low-stratum-server.

Well, his answer and your statement don't quite align.  I still expect
you to have no problem, but he said "providing it is their only
source" meaning provided each client is using only the server,
ignoring your mention of clients syncing to each other.  Presuming
those clients' time eventually is coming via that server, it should
all just work automatically.  Nonetheless, please test and confirm for
yourself before relying on my expectation of success.

Cheers,
Dave Hart