[ntp:questions] Garmin GPS 18 LVC suddenly not syncing, leap?

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Nov 22 03:25:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-11-22, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:
> unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> writes:
>
>>It sounds like you have the Garmin 18x, with an old firmware. UPGRADE.
>>It is known to be flakey.
>
> I'm using an 18 LVC (non-USB) with serial-port headers.  Is there any way to
> upgrade the firmware via Linux and serial?

When did you buy it? Garmin "upgraded" the 18 LVC about 3 or 4 years ago
to the 18x LVC, and it had real problems in its firmware. One of the
issues was that it would issue the sentences late so that the nmea
sentence indicating the second would finish more than one second after
the pulse.
Another problem could be that your garmin is sending out far too many
sentences, so that the crucial one is coming in late.

Try running minicom on the serial port that the garmin is attached to
Stop ntpd, and gpsd (if you are using it) and do something like
minicom. Or look in the log files.
AFAIK, you need a windows system withe serial port to update the
firmware. I do not know if there is any linux update software.