[ntp:questions] Ginormous offset and slow convergance

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 22:48:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:24:45PM +0000, unruh wrote:
> If he has peerstats log file, he can look at it and see what teh offset
> is of the oncore and the other ntp sources to see if it is really
> misbehaving that badly. Also, if it is out by 16 sec, why in the world
> has ntp not stepped the time? The threshold is 128ms.

I think it did step and more than once. I'd suspect a bug in the
firmware in the GPS-UTC offset handling, current offset is 15 seconds
and that is visible in one of the ntpq outputs in the original post.

Would be interesting to know if this happens on every ntpd restart or
only shortly after the GPS unit was powered up.

--
Miroslav Lichvar