[ntp:questions] Odd behaviour in a multicast setting (bug in ntpd???)

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:08:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 13:37 UTC, Marco Marongiu <brontolinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> After compiling and installing 4.2.6p3 from sources, and running that,
> ntpq didn't show any misbehaviour in more than 60 minutes. No oddities
> appear in the logs.
>
> That tells us nothing, as it is exactly the same behaviour we had with
> the stock 4.2.4p4 bundled with Debian Lenny.

That may tell you nothing, but it tells me the issue you see with
multicast servers showing up with 1024s poll interval is not a problem
with the ntp-stable release 4.2.6p3, meaning it's also unlikely to be
an issue with ntp-dev (4.2.7).  It also tells me the solution to your
problem lies entirely within your grasp.

I am only interested in problems with the currently-maintained
versions of ntpd.  Problems with older versions which have already
been resolved in 4.2.6 and later are between you and your OS.  I knew
a number of multicast issues in older ntpd have been resolved in
current releases, so evidence of multicast/manycast misbehavior in
older ntpd is entirely uninteresting, from my perspective as a ntpd
maintainer.

We are not patching 4.2.2, nor 4.2.4, at this point.  Good luck with
them, should you choose to stick with a buggy ntpd.

Cheers,
Dave Hart