[ntp:questions] garmin 18x and linux

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 1 23:50:21 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-01, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "Greg Hennessy" <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote in message
> news:j3op2e$la7$1 at dont-email.me...
>> I am trying to connect a garmin 18x to a redhat 6 computer.
> []
>> Any sugguestions?
>
> Can't help with Linux, but I suggest running the latest firmware (3.70) on
> your 18x.

The problem with the older firmware was that sometimes the time message
would be sent more than one second after the PPS it was associated with.
This meant that ntp could not associate the time with the right pulse,
and the computer would get signals one second out occasionally. If that
is not your problem then the firmware is probably not the solution. Of
course having properly operating firmware is always good, but you should
not put in a huge amount of time to update the firmware and then
discover that it does nothing for your problem.