[ntp:questions] garmin 18x and linux

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Fri Sep 2 13:13:32 UTC 2011

Greg Hennessy wrote:
> On 2011-09-02, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I said,  Without a PPS signal you will not get reasonable
>> results.
>
> I would appreciate advice on solving the problem I have, not buying
> the equipment you wished I have. I don't need microsecond timing. I
> don't need millisecond timing. I have a need to have my clock set to
> about a second, which a NMEA only gps should be able to solve.
>
>> The problem with NMEA only setups is that (I think) the firmware takes
>> non-determinic time to convert its internal data to ASCII.  This means the
>> sentence is never output at the exact second "tick".   This error is enough
>> to cause the GPS to fail NTPs clock selection algorithm.
>
> With only one source, how do I verify that your suspicion is correct?
> ntpq -p shows reach never changing from zero.

You need to check the gps on a pc with ntp working correctly
and having a low offset.

I have four GPS, BR304, Garmin 18x-LVC, Sure and Motorola
Oncore. I've not yet coupled up the Oncore. The NMEA output
of the BR304 has too much variation of >> +/- 100ms and I
gave up on use as ntp timesource. The Garmin and Sure are
probably around +/- 50ms and could be used by ntpd. The
3.70 firmware for the Garmin would be a big improvement but
but it has PPS which gets me within a few us same as with
the Sure.

If you can't couple it to an internet connected pc, the next
best is to use the computers local clock as reference with
the gps nmea marked as 'no select' and running loopstats,
peerstats and summary utilities from your ntpd distribution.

David