[ntp:questions] garmin 18x and linux

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Sep 3 08:39:23 UTC 2011

unruh wrote:

> ?? Where does this come from? While it is true that there is the 128ms
> rule ( which I believe can be adjusted) but where is this coming from?
> And besides, Garmin GPS nmea can control to better than 10ms.

Basically the 128ms, but one doesn't want to anywhere close to that
128ms.  Note I said a few tens, which could be say 40-50.

I was replying to someone that said they only wanted time to 1 second
and I was really pointing out that there can be time sources that would
satisfy that requirement, but would be unsuitable for use with NTP, so
by asking on an NTP newsgroup, they are effectively asking for times
that are significantly better than 128ms.