[ntp:questions] Adjusting PPS offset

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Sep 5 01:05:26 UTC 2011

Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM, John Hasler <jhasler at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Or do your connections to all the servers share a path segment with an
>> asymmetry.
>
> I thought of that.  But what are the chances?  The only common path is
> likely to be the one from your location to you ISP first router.

Perhaps traffic shaping is in use to reduce congestion and
ensure certain traffic has priority. My own firewall imposes
some limits on outgoing traffic which improved my upload
speeds from about 140kbit/s to above 250kbit/s. I believe my
ISP also uses such measures.

The other point is that internet routing  is not always the
same for outgoing vs incoming traffic. I've not done this
recently but in the past I traced from my home system to my
remote account and back from my remote account to home. The
paths were significantly different.

David