[ntp:questions] ntpd keep trying preferred servers?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Sep 6 19:25:05 UTC 2011

Rolf,

Thanks - sorry I missed some of that info from you previous message.

We added initial support for dynamic interfaces in 4.2.4.  Numerous
bugfixes and improvements have been added since then.

I recommend you try the latest -stable code (unless you are up for the
latest -dev code, which we belive is very stable and is about to become
4.2.8).

If you are running ntpd on the machine that has the dynamic interface
then it should be detecting this.  If your machines are talking to a
router or access point that has the dynamic interface, I'd recommend you
either run NTP on that machine (best solution) or hardwire the NTP
config file on your machines to poll for time once a minute, so when
your link does come up you'll get a few polls in there.